Tuesday, 31 May 2016

First week of Google Summer of Coding

TL;DR I have started working on the project Integrate Google Cloud Vision API to Drupal 8. As of the task of this week, the common functions have been moved to services. The crucial concepts involved Dependency Injection and use of Guzzle over curl.


My mentors suggested me to create issues for my tasks in the issue queues of the module Google Vision API, where they would track my progress and also discuss and leave suggestions for the improvement of the module.
Thus, starting with my task for the first week, I created the issue Moving the common functions to services in the issue queue of the module and started coding the functions into services and injecting them as and when needed.
I started the week by learning the concepts of services and containers, and gradually learnt about Dependency Injections in Drupal 8. The post on Services and dependency injection in Drupal 8 and the videos of Drupalize.me were of great help to understand the concept of services and implement dependency injection.


After completing this part, I put the patch for review, and there followed the next part- Use of Guzzle over curl in the services and injecting the httpClient service.
I spent significant time learning the concept of Guzzle which was quite new for me. My mentors Naveen Valecha and Christian López Espínola helped me a lot to understand Guzzle, and subsequently this task was completed with Guzzle replacing curl and injection of httpClient.
In addition, the present code made use of concatenated strings for sending the data during API call. I changed the code to make use of arrays and Json utility class and its static functions to send the data instead of strings.
When the code seemed perfect, my mentors suggested me to perform clean up along with proper documentation.

At the end of the week, I successfully uploaded the patch with all the suggestions implemented, clean up done and documentation added, thereby completing the task for my first week.

2 comments: