Wednesday 27 July 2016

GSOC 2016- Developing tests for “Fil Alt Text” feature of Google Vision module- Week 9

TL;DR Last week, I had worked on and developed tests to ensure that the similar images are grouped in accordance to the Image Properties feature of the Vision API. The code is under review by the mentors, and I would continue on it once the review is done. Meanwhile, they also reviewed the “Fill Alt Text” feature issue, and approved it is good to go. This week, I have worked on developing tests for this issue.


An important feature that I have implemented in the Google Vision API module is the filling of Alt Text field of an image file entity by any of the four choices- Label Detection, Landmark Detection, Logo Detection and Optical Character Detection. My mentor suggested me to check the availability of the response and then fill the field, as we can not fully rely on the third party responses. With this minor suggestion being implemented, now its time to develop tests to ensure the functionality of this feature.


I started developing simple web tests for this feature, to ensure that the Alt Text field is properly filled in accordance to the choice of the user. It requires the selection of the four choices one by one and verify that the field is filled correctly. Thus we require four tests to test the entire functionality. I have added an extra test to ensure that if none of the options are selected then the field remains empty.


I created the image files using the images available in the simpletests. The images can be accessed through drupalGetTestFiles(). The filling, however, requires call to the Google Cloud Vision API, thus inducing dependency on the API key. To remove the dependency, I mocked the function in the test module, returning the custom data to implement the feature.


The first test ensures that the Label Detection feature returns correct response and the Alt Text field is filled correctly. The simpletest provides a list of assertions to verify it, however, I found assertFieldByName() to be most suitable for the purpose. It asserts the value of a field based on the field name. The second test ensures that the Landmark Detection feature works correctly. Similarly, the third and fourth test ensures the correct functionality of the Logo and the Optical Character Detection feature.


The fifth test which I have included perform tests when none of the options are selected. It ensures that under this case, the Alt Text field remains empty, and does not contain any unwanted values.

I have posted the patch covering the suggestions and tests on the issue queue Fill the Alt Text of the Image File using Google Vision API to be reviewed by my mentors. Once they review it, I would work on it further, if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment